Penn's global eminence in teaching, research, and community service is achieved because of the diligent, innovative efforts of our outstanding faculty, staff, and students. Effectively managing Penn's staff is a top priority for our managers. The Performance Management Overview course on Workday Learning explains the value of performance management and shares best practices.
Performance management is rooted in ongoing communication between managers and their staff. The Performance Appraisal Program provides a formal assessment of an individual's performance. Performance reviews are conducted each fall and spring.
Workday for Performance Management
Workday performance management tools are now available for staff and supervisors to share feedback and goals. Visit the Workday Performance Management Guide for tip sheets, videos, and other helpful how-to guidance.
Tip Sheets with Step-by-Step Instructions
- Performance: Performance Management for Managers and Employees
- Performance: Goals and Check Ins
- Performance: Performance Review for HR Partners
- Performance Introductory Review for HR Partners
- Performance Introductory Review for Managers and Employees
Penn's Performance Appraisal Program
Penn has a performance appraisal program that comprises newly hired staff, staff who transfer positions internally and a performance appraisal program for all staff. Each of these appraisals includes three key components for effective management:
- Clear performance goals and expectations
- Regular verbal and written feedback to staff about progress toward goals
- Competencies and/or professional development and learning goals to help a staff member succeed in his/her position and career
Effective Performance Management
Effective management can enhance staff engagement, improve productivity, and promote staff development. Use the resources on this page to help you navigate the appraisal process and proactively manage staff performance throughout the year.
How do you effectively manage performance? Watch the video!