90-Day Evaluation for Internal Transfers
When a current University staff member in a regular position is hired to fill another regular staff position in the University, s/he receives a 90 Day Evaluation Period. If the transferred staff member is not meeting the performance expectations during the first 90 calendar days in the new position, the staff member can be placed on probation, the third step of the progressive disciplinary process, in accordance with the Performance Improvement/Disciplinary policy.
The staff member must be notified of the 90 Day Evaluation period. This may be done in the Internal Candidate Offer Letters.
Penn's Online Performance Appraisal System
Supervisors can use the Online Performance Appraisal System to complete 90 Day Evaluation Review documents. Supervisors can establish performance goals for the period and complete the review for the new staff member in the system. Both standard review forms and custom documents such as memo and letters can be completed in the Online Performance Appraisal System.
If you're new to the Online Performance Appraisal System or need a refresher, these training modules will help:
90-Day Evaluation Period Steps
Before the Staff Member Starts
- Reference the 90-Day Evaluation Period in the appropriate Internal Candidate Offer Letter.
- Begin drafting the performance goals/expectations for the 90-Day Evaluation Period and identify competencies needed for this position.
Upon Transfer/Within the First Week in the New Position
- Give staff member a copy of the position description.
- Establish written performance expectations and goals using the Online Performance Appraisal System. You can also identify competencies for the staff member to work on in the 90-Day Evaluation Period. This is optional but is encouraged to support staff's professional development.
- Meet with the new staff member to discuss the job responsibilities, performance expectations, relevant departmental policies, practices and procedures. Give the staff member a copy of the job description and 90 Day Evaluation Period Plan.
- Ensure that the new staff member receives the appropriate orientation to the school/center and department.
Throughout the 90 Day Period
- Meet regularly with the staff member to give feedback on performance and the staff member’s progress at meeting expectations and demonstrating competencies. Document these discussions.
- Provide staff member with appropriate training, resources and guidance.
- Remember to recognize the staff member’s achievements.
- Consult with Staff and Labor Relations (215-898-6093) or your school/center human resources professional if the staff member is not meeting expectations during the 90 Day Period.
Prior to the End of the 90-Day Evaluation Period
- Before the 90-Day Evaluation Period ends, determine whether or not the staff member is consistently meeting the performance expectations of the position. If the staff member is not meeting the performance expectations for the position, consult with Staff and Labor Relations (215-898-6093) or your school/center human resources professional before taking any disciplinary action.
- Complete the 90 Day Evaluation Period Review in the Online Performance Appraisal System. The review should be presented to the staff member on or before the end of the 90-Day Evaluation Period.
Following the 90 Day Evaluation Period
- Continue to meet regularly with the staff member to give feedback on performance and staff member’s progress at meeting expectations and goals. Document these discussions.
- Address performance issues in a timely manner. You should consult with Staff and Labor Relations or your school/center human resources professional for assistance.
- Update performance expectations as needed and share revisions with the staff member
- Continue to provide the staff member with the appropriate training, resources and support
- Discuss professional development plans and opportunities with the staff member
- Remember to recognize the staff member’s achievements