Sign up for Worker Classification Training at Workday Learning.
Anyone responsible for hiring employees or temporary workers, paying honoraria, or procuring the services of and paying independent contractors should attend this in-person training.
Documents and Forms
Independent Service Provider documentation and forms are updated regularly. Please use the forms posted in the Download section of this page rather than any forms you may have previously saved to your computer.
Additional Reference Documents:
- Procedural Guide for Independent Contractors and Limited Engagement
- IRS Common Law Test (Employee vs. Independent Contractor)
- Classifying Individual Service Providers: Classification and Payment Training Presentation
- Note: Process flow charts (for U.S. Citizen/Resident Alien and Nonresident Alien providers) are being reviewed and will be reposted when updated.
Independent Service Provider Processes
During fiscal year 2017, the University is implementing policy changes and a new process to properly classify and pay individual service providers. These changes were necessary to ensure the University’s compliance with U.S. Department of Labor, Internal Revenue Service, and other regulatory requirements related to the treatment of workers.
The changes affect:
- Employment Classification Process
- Payment to Individuals for Human Subject Fees
- Payment for Honoraria
- Limited Engagement
- Procurement, Payment and Reporting of Independent Contractors
As of July 1, 2017, all potential individual service providers must go through the new classification process, if they have not already done so.