Regular Part-time Staff Members
A regular part-time staff member is defined as an individual whose scheduled hours are between 17.5 to 34 per week (910 to 1,768 per year; FTE 43.75% to less than 87.5%), whose employee type in Workday is either staff or academic, and who fills an ongoing, budgeted position approved by Human Resources.
116.2 SALARY DETERMINATION
A regular part-time staff member’s salary is prorated, based on the percentage of a full-time schedule worked.
Download the Benefits Enrollment Guide which details plan features and costs for in-network and out-of-network services.
Regular part-time staff members are eligible for:
- Medical: Aetna POS II Standard plan. The cost for single coverage is partially subsidized by the University.
- Dental: The full cost (based on University group rates) is paid by the staff member.
- Vision: The full cost (based on University group rates) is paid by the staff member.
- Life Insurance: $50,000 Basic Life Insurance policy paid by the University.
- Supplemental Life Insurance: Up to two times base salary, the full cost (based on University group rates) is paid by the staff member.
- Sick Leave: Eligibility is the same as for regular full-time staff. Sick leave is accrued in hours and prorated based on scheduled hours.
- Paid Time Off (PTO): Eligibility is the same as for regular full-time staff. PTO is accrued in hours and prorated based on scheduled hours.
- Holidays: Prorated based on scheduled hours, time off with regular pay is granted in accordance with University policy for all holidays, including the special winter break between Christmas and New Year's Day, which fall on the staff member's regularly scheduled workdays. No additional payment is made for holidays which fall outside regularly scheduled workdays.
- Leave with Pay; Jury Duty, Bereavement Leave: Eligibility is the same as for regular full-time staff. Prorated based on scheduled hours.
- Leave without Pay: Eligibility is the same as for regular full-time staff.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: The full cost (based on University group rates) is paid by the staff member.
- Retirement: Weekly-paid part-time staff members who work the minimum required hours (1,000) will be eligible to participate in the Basic and Matching Plans and they may continue to contribute to the Supplemental Retirement Annuity (SRA) plan. Part-time staff members participating in the Retirement Allowance Plan (RAP) prior to July 1, 2018 who do not meet the minimum required hours will remain in the RAP.
- More Than One Position: A regular part-time staff member having more than one position will have all scheduled hours combined for benefits eligibility, as long as both positions are the same employee type (for example, staff) and the same pay group (for example, hourly). If all combined scheduled hours equal at least 35 hours/week (1,820 hours per year, and FTE 87.5%), the regular part-time staff member will be considered eligible for full-time benefits.
116.4 DEFAULT AND SCHEDULED HOURS
When completing the Workday business processes of Recruiting Create Job Requisition, Hire, and Staffing Event, part-time staff default hours are always equal to 40 and their scheduled hours are the total number of hours they’re anticipated to work per week, between 17.5 to 34.
Policy Number: 116
Effective Date: 07/01/2018
Last Reviewed: 03/28/2019
Revised Date: 07/01/2019
Supersedes Policy Number(s): 116 (02/01/1990, 07/01/1999, 8/4/2011, 120/8/2014, 07/1/2017)
Applicability: Regular part-time staff
Cross-reference: Holidays - Policy 605, Paid Time Off (PTO) - Policy 607, Special Winter Vacation - Policy 608, Bereavement Policy - Policy 609, Time Off for Jury Duty and Court Appearance with Pay - Policy 610, Military Leave - Policy 611, Sick Leave Accrued- Policy 612, Leave of Absence Without Pay - Policy 616