Penn: A Best Employer
If it sounds like we’re bragging about what a great place Penn is to work, it’s because we have bona fide bragging rights!
First, there’s our exceptional work environment:
- An Ivy League institution with a world-renowned reputation, and the nation’s first University.
- Philadelphia’s largest private employer, with a wide variety of positions available.
- A dynamic urban setting with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities.
- A diverse, inclusive learning community at the cutting edge of research and information technology.
- Excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for you and your family.
- Generous retirement benefits, professional development opportunities, and flexible work options.
Ready for a career at Penn?
Our Award-Winning Workplace
Then there’s the outside validation, in the form of awards and special recognition:
- America's Best Large Employers 2021: Forbes recognized the University of Pennsylvania as one of America’s Best Large Employers of 2021. Forbes and Statista selected the America’s Best Employers 2021 through an independent survey applied to a sample of more than 50,000 American employees working for companies with more than 1,000 employees in the United States.
- 2019 Healthiest Employers: The Philadelphia Business Journal honors the University of Pennsylvania as one of the region's 2019 Healthiest Employers.
- Seal of Distinction: In 2016 and 2017, Penn received the WorldatWork Seal of Distinction Award in recognition of the innovative steps we have taken to invest in our talented employees.
- Green Award: The Clean Air Council of Philadelphia awarded Penn with the 2017 Clean Commute Employer of the Year Award at the Clean Air Commute Awards.
- 100 Best Places to Work in IT: In 2012, Computerworld selected Penn's Office of Information Systems and Computing (ISC) for its list of 100 Best Places to Work in IT for the eighth consecutive year.
- Best Workplace for Commuters: The National Center for Transit Research designated Penn a Best Workplace for Commuters. We met the Environmental Protection Agency’s National Standard for Excellence, and were ranked in the top one percent of employers in the U.S. for outstanding commuter benefits.
- Worklife Balance: Penn received the 2010 Terri Lynne Lokoff Child Care Foundation (TLLCCF) Corporate Leadership Award for commitment to supporting worklife balance programs.
- Healthy Workplace: The Philadelphia Business Journal and presenting sponsor United Healthcare selected us as one of 36 inaugural recipients of the 2010 Healthy Workplace Award, which honors employers in the Delaware Valley region that encourage health and wellness in the workplace.
- Philadelphia Top Workplace: The Philadelphia Inquirer/Daily News named us a 2010 Top Workplace in the Philadelphia region, with a double dose of kudos: the top-ranked workplace in the education and healthcare industry, and No. 3 overall among large employers (those with over 500 employees), based on a survey of our employees.
- Diversity in the Workplace: The Urban League of Philadelphia chose us as the inaugural recipient of its Vision Award in 2009 for our commitment to racial diversity and economic inclusion in the workplace.
- Best Employer for Working Parents: The Delaware Valley Association for the Education of Young Children (DVAEYC) selected Penn for recognizing the importance of work/life benefits to the health of their businesses, and their employees, naming us one of the 2006 Best Employers for Working Parents at the twelfth annual Champions for Young Children Celebration reception.
- Best Places to Work in Philadelphia: Philadelphia Magazine named Penn a Best Place to Work as part of its November 2007 roundup of area employers.