Pillars of Excellence Award
The 2022 Call for Nominations is now closed.Thank you to the many nominators who submitted nominations. We look forward to announcing the Models, Pillars, Model Supervisor, and Supporting Penn Through COVID-19 and Return to Campus Work honorees in February.
ON THIS PAGE:
- Standards of Excellence
- The Nomination Process
- Selection and Notification
- Awards, Ceremony and Reception
- 2021 Pillars of Excellence Honorees
Introduced in 2014, the Pillars of Excellence Award recognizes the strong foundation and important support our weekly-paid staff members provide to promote Penn’s success. These staff members are pillars of the institution.
Our pillars are responsible for overseeing activities that keep our environment safe and operational for Penn’s faculty, staff, and students. They provide administrative support to organizations and individuals on day-to-day activities. They also provide important infrastructure services, such as: maintaining facilities and outdoor spaces; overseeing our mail, our parking areas, and our safety; and providing housekeeping and dining services. These staff members support key internal and external constituencies every day. They create the foundation that helps keep the University operating successfully and smoothly, meeting the goals of the University’s mission and contributing to Penn’s prestige.
Standards of Excellence
These behaviors reflect the University’s standards for a Pillar of Excellence and are used by the Selection Committee to identify individuals who qualify for this award:
- Provides superior sustained service
- Supports a special project or situation in a notable way
- Delivers exemplary service to customers
- Displays exceptional responsiveness to key constituents/customers
- Uses superior efficiency in responding to customers’ needs
- Exhibits exemplary professional behavior when responding to customers’ needs/requests
- Exhibits exceptional resourcefulness, innovation, or creativity to help customers with their problems/issues
- Improves processes to save time or money through over-and-above service to key constituencies
- Contributes to a positive, collaborative work environment
The Nomination Process
We’re looking for non-exempt, weekly-paid staff members who meet the above standards of excellence by doing their jobs so well on a daily basis that their impact is felt keenly by those working with them or in the environment they oversee. They model outstanding services and support to their constituents every day, during special situations, and/or under unique circumstances. Please consider nominating a deserving staff member or team; we welcome nominations from any level of the organization, including self-nominations.
The nomination process is detailed, and all its components must be completed before the nomination can be accepted.
The annually published Quick Start Guide to Submitting a Nomination provides all of the information you need to complete this process. Nomination steps include:
1. Review the eligibility criteria in the Nomination Guide.
2. Complete the Nomination Form which includes two reference letters and supervisor verification of eligibility.
3. Submit the completed nomination through the online form by the published deadline.
Questions? Call 215-898-1012 or contact us by email.
Selection and Notification
An annually rotating Models of Excellence Selection Committee reviews all nominations and selects the award winners. The committee is representative of the diversity of our institution, composed of Penn leaders from the Provost, Executive Vice President, and Vice President of Human Resources areas, previous Models of Excellence award winners, and other faculty and staff members from across campus.
Once staff members are chosen for Pillars of Excellence recognition are notified in January, and the information is publicized broadly to the Penn community. Honorees are acknowledged at the spring Models of Excellence Award Ceremony.
Awards, Ceremony, and Reception
Pillars of Excellence award winners receive $500.00 and a symbolic award. Extremely noteworthy contributions receive Honorable Mentions and are awarded $250.00 and a symbolic award.
2021 Pillars of Excellence
Pillars of Excellence Award
Anabel Bernal Estrada, School of Arts and Sciences
Pillars of Excellence Honorable Mention
Kevin Calvert, University Museum
Irene Clements, School of Engineering and Applied Science
Questions? Call 215-898-7729 or contact us by email.