Hiring and Recruitment
Workday Is Here!
Visit Workday.upenn.edu to log into your account, find tip sheets on processes, and upcoming webinars.
You can track applicants in your Workday account.
Before Making a Hire
Before starting the hiring process, hiring contacts should familiarize themselves with the University hiring guidelines, including regulations related to Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity.
To prepare for the search process, we recommend referencing the Job Application Training Webinar found on the Penn Workday site.
Penn’s Hiring Process Requirements
University policy requires that records related to the recruitment and selection process be retained for three years from the date the position is filled. Some of the documents that you will need to maintain are:
- Copies of any additional advertisements placed for the position.
- Interview questions and notes taken during the interview, rating sheets and writing samples.
- If a search committee is used, the names of the members of the search committee and the name and title of the person making the selection decision.
- Reason candidate is recommended for hire (in the event an offer is declined, please note that for the relevant candidate and indicate whether another candidate in the pool was offered the position, or if the position was reposted or withdrawn), and notes from reference checks.
These documents are not part of the job posting or electronic application, so they must be uploaded to the feedback forms in Workday or the Hiring Questionnaire in Workday.
Please note that the University is legally required to retain these records. A hiring officer's failure to do so may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Recruiting and Staffing Updates
Upcoming Training Sessions
Looking for assistance in regard to the recruitment process in Workday? Sign up for virtual Workday Recruitment office hours! To register please click here.
Applicant Tracking on Workday
To access applicant pools please login to Workday@Penn with your PennKey user name and password.
Online training for Workday hiring and recruitment is available at https://www.workday.upenn.edu/home/training/training-catalog. Please be sure to complete training Modules 1 and 2.
Workday training should be supplemented with the Hiring Officer Handbook.
Some key information in the ‘Hiring Officer Handbook’ that hiring officers have found useful are explanations about dispositioning candidates (e.g. applicant will not be selected for hire vs. applicant will be interviewed- send email), guidance on conducting interviews (e.g. what are illegal vs. illegal questions), and communicating with candidates not selected for hire.
Also see these resources:
Recruiting for an Open Position
- Executive Recruitment Services
- Guide to Completing a PIQ
- Interviewing Candidates
- Candidate Evaluation Forms
Hiring a Candidate
- Salary Offers and Compensation Guidelines
- Visa Information
- Hiring Forms
- New Hire Checklist
- Sample Offer Letters