Hiring and Recruitment
Before Making a Hire
Penn Hiring Officers should review the information in the Hiring Officer Handbook and familiarize themselves with University hiring guidelines, including regulations related to Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity, before making a hire.
Penn’s Hiring ProcessUniversity policy requires that records related to the recruitment and selection process be retained for three years from the date the position is filled. The following documents are to be retained:
- Job description (PIQ for staff positions).
- Position posting and copies of any additional advertisements placed for the position.
- Applications, resumes, and any cover letters received from applicants.
- If a search committee is used, the names of the members of the search committee and the name and title of the person making the selection decision.
- Names of candidates selected for interviews, notes taken regarding interviews (including questions and responses), rating or evaluation sheets and any writing samples provided or tests administered.
- Reason candidate is recommended for hire (in the event an offer is declined, please note that for the relevant candidate and indicate whether another candidate in the pool was offered the position, or if the position was reposted or withdrawn), and notes from reference checks.
These documents must be uploaded to the summary page of the hiring proposal under "other documents" at the conclusion of the search process. Please note that the University is legally required to retain these records. A hiring officer's failure to do so may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Recruiting and Staffing Updates
Applicant Tracking System
To access applicant pools, visit the Applicant Tracking System, using your your PennKey and Password.
If you're a first-time user, view the online training module before logging into the system. Also see these resources:
Recruiting for an Open Position
- Executive Recruitment Services
- Guide to Completing a PIQ
- Interviewing Candidates
- Candidate Evaluation Forms
Hiring a Candidate
- Salary Offers and Compensation Guidelines
- Visa Information
- Hiring Forms
- New Hire Checklist
- Sample Offer Letters