Penn Walking Program
It’s fun, it’s free, it fits into your schedule—and it can help you feel better, look better and be a healthier you! What more could you ask for in a wellness program? (How about a free t-shirt and pedometer?)
ON THIS PAGE:
The Penn Walking Program, open to all faculty and staff, is a flexible, motivational health and wellness resource that provides materials and support to help you meet your fitness goals. You can start at any time. You can walk alone or in a group, and you can follow pre-mapped, interesting routes or create your own path. All you need are some good shoes and carved-out time from your busy schedule to get moving.
When you join the Penn Walking Program, you’ll receive:
- A tracking booklet to record your progress manually
- Access to the Penn Walking Program tracking website
- A free pedometer to help you track your steps and mileage
- A free Penn Walking Program t-shirt
- Notice about monthly one- and two-mile wellness walks
- Special updates about community walk/jog/run events in the Philadelphia area
Exercise helps reduce stress, increase energy, and improve your overall health. Regular physical activity can decrease your risk for serious illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, and even some forms of cancer. It can also increase your immunity to common, easily communicable diseases such as colds and other viruses. Regular walkers report feeling better mentally, physically, and emotionally.
By adding walking into your regular daily routine, you can experience all these benefits and meet the professional recommendation of at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise several days a week. The Penn Walking Program makes it easy by providing materials, guidance, and tools to build this practice into your daily routine. It requires little preparation, and no special equipment or facilities. And it can be done at any time—before or after work or even during your lunch hour.
It’s simple to sign up and join in:
- Register by contacting Human Resources at 215-573-2471 or email us. You must contact Human Resources in order to register; signing in to the tracking website alone will not register you for the program.
- Start walking (or jogging or running). Where? Try these ideas.
- Keep track of your progress with the Penn Walking Program tracking website or your personal tracking booklet .
- Feel happier and healthier!
You can track your progress with a tracking booklet, or online.
- Online tracking Track your efforts online and see how you’re doing day-to-day, week-to-week, and season-to-season. You can measure your progress against others in your age group, job type, school/center, and/or gender. If you haven’t used the tracking website before, click on New User Registration to enter your name and create a User ID and password. If you’d like to see how others in your demographic are doing, add the optional demographic information about yourself. All information you provide is held in strictest confidence by a third-party administrator. We will not see any of it.
- Manual tracking If you prefer to track your progress manually, use the tracking booklet that came in your registration welcome packet. Or, download the booklet.
We provide one free pedometer replacement. If you need a replacement, contact Human Resources at 215-573-2471 or email us.
Pedometers are also readily available online from a variety of sources, including www.pedometersusa.com. For reference, the pedometer provided to Penn Walking Program participants is the Sportline 340. Replacement batteries for pedometers are also easy to find online: most use common watch-battery sizes. The Sportline 340 pedometer, for example, accepts a single LR1130 button cell battery. Most corner drug stores and chain stores stock this type of battery.
Questions? Contact Human Resources: 215-898-5116 or contact us online.