Flexible Work Overview and Guidelines
THE FUTURE OF WORK AT PENN FOR STAFF
One of Penn’s distinctive strengths is the co-location of its 12 Schools and academic offerings on a contiguous campus. We are a residential campus and a connected community not only physically but also through our commitment to collaboration and cooperation, achieved through in-person interactions. The members of the Penn community expect and have relied upon prompt, efficient, and high-quality service among the various functions staff perform and as a result, onsite presence is essential. Penn offers opportunities to create a community that encourages effective collaboration while fostering a diverse and inclusive culture poised to retain talent and help develop and advance our staff.
Penn strives to employ a diverse workforce where people are engaged, connected, and thriving. To enable this aspiration, we support a culture where different modes of flexible, hybrid, and remote work may be permissible for staff consistent with institutional needs. As we navigated through the COVID-19 pandemic, we witnessed the resiliency of Penn’s staff in their ability to pivot to remote or hybrid work arrangements. The following Guiding Principles are a reflection of the lessons learned over the past two years and affirm our core principles, reflecting today’s landscape:
- The individual's work style and history must support the demands of the arrangement.
- The individual's work location must be within the United States.
- Special arrangements for communication and accountability must be established.
- Flexible/remote work request must be submitted in Workday to properly document the understanding between all involved parties.
- The staff member and manager/supervisor should collaborate on a plan that includes provisions for meeting and communication with internal or external stakeholders.
- An effort should be made to maintain a collegial environment by encouraging team member interaction and collaboration.
- All participants must be prepared to return to on-campus arrangements if the situation requires.
Approval Process Requirements
All hybrid and remote work arrangements must follow the University's work arrangement request and approval process instructions on the Approval and Process Flow page..