Well-being Resources and COVID-19August 3, 2020
As part of Penn’s commitment to improving the well-being of its staff and faculty members, Human Resources strives to create a culture of support during the COVID-19 crisis.
On this page, you will find available resources to create a positive remote work-experience, reduce stress, and help you stay well and find harmony during these unprecedented times.
Penn Wellness and Work-life Upcoming Virtual Events - Join us for virtual opportunities to enhance your well-being, including workshops and classes on health, fitness, stress management, financial wellness, and work-life balance topics.
Virtual Nutrition Counseling Appointments with Corporate Wellness Nutrition (formerly Family Food) - Penn’s nutrition counseling partner, Corporate Wellness Nutrition (formerly known as Family Food) is offering virtual appointments. Receive the same guidance from a trusted Registered Dietician by contacting myRD@wcusa.com to schedule an appointment.
Support for Wellness and Overall Health
Employee Assistance Program (EAP) powered by Health Advocate - Provides eligible faculty and staff, and their families, access to free, confidential, 24/7 counseling and referral services for personal and professional life issues from any location. Call 1-866-799-2329 for assistance.
Care.com - Through Care.com, you can have temporary backup care in your home, at an out-of-town work location, or at an adult relative’s residence day or night, seven days a week, including holidays. Care.com puts you in touch with professionals who meet your family’s specific needs and expectations.
- Virgin Pulse - Stay healthy and stay connected with Penn's new wellness platform partner. Virgin Pulse offers an exciting array of well-being options and resources to focus on your health and optimize your Be in the Know experience. Use the Virgin Pulse mobile app for wellness activities and resources on the go.
- Be in the Know - Whether you want to focus on a health goal, participate in well-being challenges with your colleagues, or simply strive to feel your best, Penn's 2020-2021 Be in the Know wellness campaign is here to support you. This year, you'll have even more help in reaching your goals with Virgin Pulse and can earn up to $300 in rewards, choosing from gift cards, fitness items, and charitable donations.
- Penn's Health Plans and COVID-19 - Penn’s insurance carriers, Independence (Blue Cross), Aetna, CVS Caremark, Keystone (IBC), and Penn Medicine’s Connected Health Virtual Care Telemedicine Practice are all closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation. They are committed to making sure that our participants can receive appropriate testing and treatment for this virus if needed.
- Backup Care - Through Penn's partnership with Care.com BackupCare, you can get assistance with juggling your personal and professional lives.
- Adult and Senior Care Advising - This benefit provides eligible individuals with the support and guidance of experienced Senior Care Advisors who can assist employees and their families with senior care giving.
Courses, Training, Webinars
Resilience Skills in a Time of Uncertainty - We are all facing different and difficult challenges as we confront the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to support you in this time of uncertainty, Penn is sharing this free and unique version of Dr. Karen Reivich’s “Resilience Skills” course from the Specialization Foundations of Positive Psychology.
Resiliency: Moving Forward in Changing Times - Presented by Health Advocate
- Virgin Pulse emotional well-being courses, powered by Whil - Find your calm with three video course topics available: Mindfulness 101, Emotional Intelligence 101, and Yoga 101.
- Establishing Emotional Balance - Presented by Health Advocate.
- Working from home with children - Presented by Health Advocate.
- Balancing Work and Life as a Work-from-Home Parent - Linkedin Learning
- Caring for the Caregiver During the Pandemic - Presented by Health Advocate.
- "Treading Water" Through the COVID-19 Storm - Presented by Health Advocate.
During the COVID-19 crisis, many staff are working from home. Remote work can pose challenges, but you can operate successfully with the right tools and set up. Here are some resources to consider.
- Tips for Working Remotely, Health Advocate blog
- Creating a healthy space to work at home, Health Advocate blog
- How to Find Your Focus While Working from Home, Virgin Pulse
- Quarantine Fatigue: Coping with Burnout, Health Advocate
Ways to Stay Active
Exercise doesn't have to take a back seat during these times of social distancing. Here are some options for staying active while at home.
- Penn Campus Recreation
- YMCA 360 On-Demand Videos
- Life Time Fitness Classes on Demand
- Human Resources sponsored fitness classes taught by Penn's Campus Recreation instructors: Coming soon. Check the Events Registration page for available virtual fitness classes designed for Penn's faculty and staff.
Additional Resources to Support Well-being
Stop, Breathe & Think Meditation and Mindfulness app - Helps kids, teens, and adults build emotional strength during a time of rising stress and worry. Download the app from the Apple Store of Google Play. Independence Blue Cross members can access it for free for 60 days. Instructions are available here.
Staying active and fit while under quarantine, Penn Today
Staying focused by taking a mindfulness break, Health Advocate blog
Tips to reduce worry during the COVID-19 pandemic, Health Advocate blog
Resources for parents supporting at-home children, Health Advocate blog
COVID-19: Combatting Side Effects of Social Isolation, Health Advocate