Be in the Know
July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024
Penn invites you to step into a healthier year with the 2023-2024 Be in the Know wellness campaign available for all benefits-eligible faculty and staff, plus postdoctoral researchers and fellows eligible for the Penn Postdoc Benefits Plan.
The Be in the Know campaign provides comprehensive programs, resources, and rewards of up to $300* this year to support your health and well-being and connect with the Penn community.
Be in the Know continues to partner with Virgin Pulse, Penn's wellness platform provider, who offers an array of online well-being solutions and a robust rewards program, plus tracks your campaign progress.
Be in the Know Campaign FlyerDownload the flyer for exciting details about the 2023-2024 campaign year.
Be in the Know, 2023-2024
This year’s campaign runs July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024.
Starting July 1, you have a new opportunity to take action and complete activities that promote personal and professional wellness, connect with colleagues, and earn rewards.
The Be in the Know 2023–2024 campaign continues the same system for earning points and rewards, using the Virgin Pulse "Steps for Success" campaign design that gives you more ways to earn points and rewards and focus on your health.
Get started today to feel your best and earn up to $300* in Pulse Cash rewards, plus the opportunity for special recognition as a Be in the Know VIP!
How to Get Started with Virgin Pulse
- Sign up for your Virgin Pulse account by going to join.virginpulse.com/penn.
- If you are new to Be in the Know, first complete a brief online registration, using a desktop or laptop.
- Once registered, download the Virgin Pulse Mobile app from your app store (search Virgin Pulse) for ease of staying engaged.
- Accept the terms and conditions and choose your email preferences.
- Connect a fitness tracker (optional) to get credit and earn points for your steps, active minutes, and sleep. Virgin Pulse syncs with many devices and apps (including Max Buzz™, Apple Watch, Fitbit and Garmin.)
Then, get ready to start racking up your rewards!
Become a Be in the Know VIPIf you earn 50,000 campaign points this year, as well as complete a biometric screening, you’ll be named a Be in the Know VIP and receive special recognition.
Visit the Be in the Know VIP webpage for details about this program and how to earn this status.
Steps for Success
Be in the Know continues the same system for earning points and rewards, using the Virgin Pulse "Steps for Success" campaign design with four reward levels.
STEP 1: REQUIRED! Complete a Biometric Screening = Earn $50 Reward
Completing a biometric screening is an essential step for Be in the Know in 2023-2024. Once you complete your screening between July 1, 2023 and June 30, 2024, you’ll earn your first $50 and be able to earn additional rewards! Biometric
screenings are the only activity required to receive Pulse Cash rewards this year.
The no cost, confidential biometric screenings give you the opportunity to learn these key indicators about your health:
- Blood pressure
- Total cholesterol
- HDL cholesterol
- Blood sugar/glucose
Choose from four available options to earn biometric screening credit—all free, convenient, and easy to do!
- On-campus screenings will be held from October 10 through November 30. These non-fasting screenings, provided by Health Advocate, will be available at convenient campus locations. For a complete list of dates and locations, check out the Biometric Screening schedule. Advance registration is required, so sign up for your appointment online at Penn's Health Advocate portal. Log in with your PennKey and password. Select the Schedule a Health Screening tile. Look for Attend an Onsite Health Screening Event and click Schedule. Search by available locations and follow the steps to make your appointment. Once your screening is completed, Health Advocate will automatically send your results and credit to Virgin Pulse. Please allow at least two weeks for credit to appear on the platform.
- Submit screening results from your healthcare provider: Obtain a screening between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024. Complete the Consent to Release Results form (available in July), then follow the instructions to submit your confidential results to Health Advocate. Once Health Advocate processes your form, they will automatically send results and credit to Virgin Pulse. Please allow a few weeks for credit to appear on the platform.
- Two Labcorp options available through Virgin Pulse: Sign into the Virgin Pulse platform, go to Programs tab and “Biometric Screenings Options, 2023-2024” page for the order links. Click the “START NOW” button on the left side of the screen. Choose from “Labcorp Patient Service Center” (voucher) or “Labcorp OnDemand Home Test” (home test kit.) For both options, Labcorp will process your screenings and automatically send results and credit to Virgin Pulse, plus email you a link to view results. Processing for both options take several weeks at a minimum.
- Labcorp Voucher Program: Download a voucher (screening script) from the Virgin Pulse platform. Schedule and complete a screening appointment at a participating Labcorp facility near you.
- Home Test Kits: Order a home test kit on the Virgin Pulse platform. Complete the kit at home, which will include all directions and supplies. Mail back the completed kit.
STEP 2: Begin Completing Your Choice of Qualifying Activities to Earn Up to Another $250 in Rewards!Be in the Know gives you the freedom to complete any of the qualifying activities, such as the Health Check, at any time during the campaign year (July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024) – and as you do, you will receive the associated points. However, your points won’t count toward Virgin Pulse Cash rewards until you complete STEP 1, a biometric screening. Once a biometric screening is credited, you will receive all rewards earned to date, based on your points total.
Complete any qualifying activities from our “Ways to Earn” 2023-2024 list, available July 1, giving you over 90 options to choose from. As your points total accumulates, your goal is to reach the next points level to earn your next reward!
- Reach 5,000 total points = Earn another $50 (Level 1 reward)
- Reach 15,000 total points = Earn another $75 (Level 2 reward)
- Reach 30,000 total points = Earn another $125 (Level 3 reward)
Please note that Pulse Cash is only rewarded upon achieving the total points required for each level reward. If you do not reach the next points threshold, you will not earn the next reward amount.
STEP 3: Keep Going to Earn Special Recognition as a VIP!
Continue earning points to reach our highest level of achievement as a Be in the Know VIP, “Very Impressive Participant,” and earn special recognition.
- Reach 50,000 points = Earn VIP recognition (Level 4 reward).
Ways to Earn
Earn Maximum Rewards!
Earn up to $300* in Pulse Cash again this Be in the Know campaign year, running July 1, 2023 through June 30, 2024.
After completing a biometric screening for your first $50 reward, earn up to another $250 in Be in the Know rewards with an array of "Ways to Earn" 2023-2024 wellness activities, for a maximum of $300 in Pulse Cash, plus VIP recognition. From preventative health, Penn wellness, and Virgin Pulse online options - choose from over 90 activities to earn points toward reward levels. Visit the Bonus Actions webpage for details.
Biometric Screening takes you from Points to RewardsYou can complete the Health Check and/or Bonus Actions at any time during the campaign year (July 1, 2023–June 30, 2024) and will be awarded points for completions. However, you won’t earn any rewards until you complete STEP 1, a biometric screening.
How to Redeem Pulse Cash Rewards
Partnering with Be in the Know and Virgin Pulse allows you to earn rewards for activities that mean the most to you and your health. Once you’ve earned Pulse Cash rewards, Virgin Pulse makes it easy to spend them on the platform. Whether you want to buy multiple smaller items or save up for something special, Virgin Pulse gives you ample options!
To redeem your rewards, sign in at https://join.virginpulse.com/penn. Look for the Home tab on the main page and click on Rewards from the drop-down menu.
Once on the Rewards page, click the Spend tab to bring up three categories of reward options. Choose from:
Shop the Store for wellness items (such as fitness trackers)
Get a Gift Card (buy a gift card from available retail and VISA options)
Donate it (make a donation to a wide variety of charities)
Follow the prompts, including the amount of rewards you wish to spend from the amount you have available. Be sure to click Submit to confirm your purchase. A confirmation email will be sent to the address you used to register on the Virgin Pulse platform. You’ll need this confirmation email for gift card purchases and charitable donations.
*Per IRS guidelines, all Be in the Know rewards are subject to applicable payroll taxes at the time they are earned and rewarded to participants - even if rewards have not yet been redeemed (i.e., spent). While the rewards are provided through Virgin Pulse's Rewards Program, mandatory payroll taxes on the value of earned rewards will be processed through participants' paychecks. For the 2023-2024 campaign year, taxes will be processed in October 2023, and January, April, and July 2024 paychecks. Participants will see applicable rewards taxes deducted from their paychecks in these months, if rewards were earned during the prior time period. Paystubs will note "Imputed Income: Wellness" plus the amount of earned rewards for that particular tax cycle.
Your privacy is strictly protected. Penn receives only aggregated data for the participating population. Penn will never know your individual screening results, health assessment answers or personal health goals.