Models of Excellence Award
Congratulations to the 2022 Models of Excellence HonoreesThis year's honorees in all categories have been selected. The complete list of 2022 Models of Excellence honorees is available for download.
Models of Excellence Team SlideshowsClick on the team names to the left on this page to view a slideshow of individual team members.
The Models of Excellence program recognizes notable staff member accomplishments at Penn that reflect initiative, leadership, increased efficiency, and a deep commitment to service.
ON THIS PAGE:
- Standards of Excellence
- The Nomination Process
- Selection and Notification
- Awards, Ceremony and Reception
- 2021 Honorees
Standards of Excellence
These Standards of Excellence are used by the nominators and the Selection Committee to identify individual staff members or teams as Models of Excellence for their notable contributions to the mission of the University that go above and beyond performance and job expectations.
Supportive practices, procedures, and policies
- Brings about significant positive change for the University’s mission.
- Eliminates significant obstacles to achieving the University’s mission.
- Resolves, in unique and/or novel ways, problems that impede progress.
Innovative and proactive leadership
- Uses highly effective and/or novel practices to inspire and lead others to contribute constructively to the University’s mission.
- Proactively identifies and resolves challenges that interfere with team/unit/school/center activities to further the University’s mission.
- Encourages a coordinated effort by a complex group and facilitates the group’s ability to meet complicated goals.
Extraordinary service to key constituencies
- Supports internal and/or external constituencies in ways that exceed expectations and result in unexpected and very positive outcomes that support the University’s mission.
- Identifies improvements to University practices, policies, and/or program designs that result in substantial cost savings or financial gain to the University while enhancing the organization’s ability to support the University’s mission.
Exemplary relationship building within and/or outside of the immediate organization
- Develops and uses strong, constructive, and productive relationships that enable otherwise impossible goals to be met in support of the University’s mission
The Nomination Process
The call for nominations is open September through October each year.
We seek nominations of significant achievements—above and beyond job and performance expectations—to model excellence for the campus. Please consider nominating a deserving staff member or team; we welcome nominations from any level of the organization, including self-nominations.
The nomination process is detailed, and all its components must be completed before the nomination can be accepted. An annually published Quick Start Guide to Completing a Nomination provides all of the information you need to complete this process which includes the following steps:
- Review the Nomination Guide and eligibility criteria.
- Complete the Nomination Form which includes two reference letters and supervisor verification of eligibility.
- Submit the completed nomination online by the deadline.
Questions? Call 215-898-1012 or contact us by email.
Selection and Notification
An annually rotating Models of Excellence Selection Committee reviews all nominations and selects the award winners. The committee is representative of the diversity of our institution, composed of Penn leaders (including the Provost, Executive Vice President, and Vice President of Human Resources), previous Models of Excellence award winners, and other faculty and staff members from across campus.
Once staff members are chosen for Models of Excellence recognition or accorded an Honorable Mention are notified in January, and the information is publicized broadly to the Penn community. Honorees are acknowledged at the spring Models of Excellence Award Ceremony.
Awards and Celebration
Questions? Call 215-898-7729 or contact us by email.