The Model Supervisor Award
The 2021 call for nominations is now closed.In late January, the Models, Pillars, Sustaining Penn Through Covid-19 and Model Supervisor honorees will be announced.
The annual Model Supervisor Award, established in 2007, is given to Penn supervisors who demonstrate exemplary behaviors and serve as outstanding role models.
ON THIS PAGE:
- Model Supervisor Behaviors
- The Nomination Process
- Selection and Notification
- Awards, Ceremony and Reception
- 2020 Model Supervisor Honorees
These behaviors reflect the University’s standards for a Model Supervisor and are used by the Selection Committee to identify individuals who qualify for this award:
- Applies fairness and consistency to all actions.
- Communicates goals and expectations clearly and holds staff accountable.
- Provides tools for achievement.
- Removes unnecessary barriers to accomplishment and assists with problem solving.
- Provides feedback in a constructive way and manages issues in the workplace.
- Treats all with dignity, respect, and integrity.
- Collaborates with other peers and organizations and supports an environment of collaboration.
- Empowers everyone to achieve their best and offers development opportunities for future growth.
- Understands and supports work life balance.
- Appreciates the contribution that a diverse workforce offers, and supports efforts to sustain a diverse workforce.
- Safeguards and manages assets and institutional resources for the greatest support for institutional goals.
The call for nominations for the Model Supervisor award is open September through October each year. Any member of the Penn community can nominate a Model Supervisor.
We’re looking for supervisors who are role models and exemplify the Model Supervisor Behaviors. You may nominate staff supervisors of any level, except senior academic or administrative leaders of a school or center. They must supervise at least two Penn staff to be considered.
The Nomination process is detailed, and all its components must be completed before nomination can be accepted. Each year the Quick Start Guide for Submitting a Nomination provides all of the information you need to complete this process which include the following steps:
- Reviewing the eligibility criteria in the Nomination Guide.
- Completing the Nomination Form which includes two reference letters and supervisor verification of eligibility.
- Submitting the completed
nomination through the online form by the published deadline.
Questions? Call 215-898-1012 or contact us by email.
An annually rotating Models of Excellence Selection Committee reviews all nominations and selects the award winners. The committee is representative of the diversity of our institution, composed of Penn leaders from the Provost, Executive Vice President, and Vice President of Human Resources areas previous Models of Excellence award winners, and other faculty and staff members from across campus.
Staff members who are selected for Model Supervisor recognition or accorded an Honorable Mention are notified in January, and the information is publicized broadly to the Penn community. Honorees are acknowledged at the spring Models of Excellence Award Ceremony.
The individuals chosen as Model Supervisors receive $500 and a symbolic award.
2020 Model Supervisor
Director of Research Integration and Special Initiatives
Perelman School of Medicine
As Director of Research Integration and Special Initiatives, Leigh Gantz has a wide range of responsibilities, from tactfully managing space needs to spearheading research integration efforts. Leigh’s talent for project management and organization is readily visible through the success of her initiatives and her unparalleled ability to make her colleagues and co-workers feel valued.
Director of Academic Operations for the Department of Biostatistics, Epidemiology and Informatics (DBEI)
Perelman School of Medicine
Rebecca Lerario is a strategic thinker who goes above and beyond to communicate with staff, creating an environment
of inclusion and confidence.
Director of the Office of Learning Resources, Weingarten Center
Ryan Miller champions education and community through his excellence in supervision. He supports his team in doing what they are best at and what brings them fulfillment.
Questions? Call 215-898-7729 or contact us by email.